Saturday, October 23

The Grand Canyon of the Pacific

After a day of relaxing and checking out the Island, it was time to do some real exploring.  So, we got up early, just as the sun had come up, packed into my dad's rental suburban and headed up to Waimea Canyon.  From our hotel in Kapa'a, it would take about 2 hours to reach the end of the road and Kalalau Lookout, looking over the beautiful Na Pali Coast.

The beach first thing in the morning, the sun is barely up.
Our first stop at Waimea Canyon, Canyon Lookout.



My mom and Amy with Harvey the Javelina.




Back in the car and on to the next stop...


This is the best picture we could get of the island.  It was cloudy and misty.



Thanks to our fellow hikers for taking our picture.

Back in the car and on the road again, to our final destination...Kalalau Lookout and the Na Pali Coast.



What can I say, but WOW!

Back to the town of Waimea for lunch and a beer at the Brewing Company.  Well, not for me, but Andy enjoyed a beer at the Western Most Brewery.



 
The brewery used to be an old plantation.  Cool old buildings and a beautiful view.

After lunch, drove the hour and a half back to the hotel and got ready to go snorkeling at the RIGHT beach this time at Lydgate Park.  And here is what I learned about snorkeling... I can't do it!  I tried.  I really did.  I put on the flippers and walked like a duck to the water, put on my mask and breathing thingy, waded into the waves and avoided falling. (I did not however avoid looking like a dork while I did it!) Got out deep enough into the water to put my face in, put my face in and.... PANIC attack!  Claustrophobia like you can't believe!  Stood up as fast as I bent over and ripped that mask off like that!  Whew!  Deep breaths!  It's okay.  I can do this.  I. Can. Do. This. I know I can.....  Waited a minute and tried again.  Nope, that is not gonna happen. Ever!  I did it when I was 12. Not now!  Maybe next time.

Oh, and the other thing I learned is that it doesn't matter how sexy you think you are hanging out on the beach in your bikini or speedo, once you put on those flippers, it is impossible to be sexy.  Period.  No matter how hard you try!

I will spare you of the unsexy snorkeling pictures and leave you instead with more flower pictures.




We didn't see any Nenes today...


But a day on Kaua'i would not be complete without a bunch of these..


So excited for my next post!  Day 4 and our zip-lining trip!!

No comments: